Share this Post
When you choose to make your living from your creative talent, you WILL come up against some resistance. So when I saw Duane’s designs on Instagram it struck me like a bolt of lighting. It was a bold statement about Art and Money “ART PAYS ME”. A declaration of where he stands and what he stands for. In our interview, he unpacks what it all means, and how it all started.
Some questions I asked:
- What did you do to find your creative voice?
- Finish this sentence… Broke “___”.
- How did you bridge art and commerce as a creative business owner?
- How do you start a conversation with a client to try something different or unique?
- Have you ever made a decision from your gut without research to back it up?
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- Why he says Go big or Go home
- About his frustration with the creative industry
- Why he gave up playing Xbox, but still keeps his membership
- How he came up with Art Pays Me and the Woke collection
- What happens in life when you focus
- How a designer leads a company and makes decisions
- Why design is a competitive advantage in business
- What happened to his creativity at art school
- What to do when you have complete creative freedom on a project
- What Dwayne learned about his dad after his father passed away
- Why he’s obsessed with legacy